Monday, March 23, 2015

Hammering Out the Details

Whenever you begin to actively pursue a goal, there are certain details that need to be hammered out. Those details involve such things as to what has to be accomplished in order to make progress. It also involves knowing the reality of your situation.

As an example, there is a certain amount of income I would like to be able to generate from my websites. So I played around with some numbers and calculated that if I averaged .6 cents a visitor, I would need half a million visitors a month on my websites in order to generate around $36,000 a year from my websites.

I got the .6 cent per visitor figure from doing some research on another site that gets millions of visitors a year and reduced the numbers accordingly to a level us simple folk can deal with.

Sometimes when we see the real numbers and what we may be up against, we become discouraged. sometimes it may seem as if the odds are astronomically high against us. maybe we were not even being realistic regarding the tasks that lay before us. but sometimes, after the initial shock of seeing the real numbers, we manage to get it all together. this is not about dashing your hopes but more about knowing what you are up against so that you may take the necessary steps required to pursue your goal.

I will often outline things either on paper or in a document on my computer. I just find it to be a bit easier to grasp when I see it all laid out before me. I am often a stickler for the finer details.

After getting all of the details, the next step would be to devise a strategy or number of strategies one could employ to reach that goal. The point is that we all need to know what the real numbers are in order to have some idea as to the reality of our situation and where we need to go. That’s what everyone needs to do when they actively pursue a goal. They need to determine where they are, where they need to go and what needs to be done to get there. They need to hammer out the details.

Image by Bob Craypoe, also known as R. L. Crepeau

No comments:

Post a Comment