Monday, November 3, 2014

Introduction to Fingerstyle Guitar

I have been playing guitar for decades now but I had actually started fingerpicking on the guitar in my second year of playing. Obviously, after doing it for so long, I have improved significantly. now I am a pretty good fingerstyle guitarist, if I do say so myself.

It all pretty much started when I saw my cousins tinker around with it and I decided that it was something I wanted to learn. In my first year of playing guitar, I just basically concentrated on learning the chords and the keys they were in. in my second year, I started to do some fingerpicking with those chords I learned. 

I also taught myself how to read music. So eventually, I accumulated the knowledge of all of the chords in their various keys, fingerstyle guitar and how to read music. I was on my way to becoming a pretty good musician.

One day, while flipping through the channels on the TV, I came across a flamenco guitarist and he was good. really good and I loved watching him. I told myself that I had to learn how to play like that. So I kind of incorporated some classical guitar and flamenco techniques into my playing. It worked out rather well for me overall. 

In the video I have included here, I explain the basics for anyone who may be interested in learning how to play fingerstyle guitar. I have also included a link to my website where I have some basic lessons to get you started, just in case you may be interested. You can go to DrPsychotic.com. I hope this interests you. 



Photo Credit: Image created by Bob Craypoe, also known as R. L. Crepeau.

No comments:

Post a Comment